Mother Nature...

...Does not always make the best neighbor.
We love our little house in the "country", the trees surrounding the backyard are great - trees, lots of trees. They provide shade for Gherkin's play structure. The ones on the side of the house loose their leaves in the winter so we can take advantage of solar heat and cooling in the summer. So you would think that the birds would find enough other places to build their nests. For the last week I have been in a battle with a couple of birds. It started with a pile of moss and a few sticks that I brushed away. By Sunday afternoon it looked like this...
Too bad it was located right behind the helm of Gherkin's play structure. Now I am not one to kick somone out of their home, or assume that one location is better or worse than another. But when it comes to Gherkin's safety I put my foot down. I can only imagine what would start to happen once the eggs were laid or hatched. Dive-bombing momma birds doesn't sit well with me. So before this could happen we put another end to the nest making attempts. This time we covered the area with plastic and hung a plastic bag from the rafters to make lots of noise and be a deterrent.
Gherkin was kind of interested in the nest. It made a great stockpile of sticks to watch slide down the slide. With any luck Gherkin will have a great summer of swinging, sliding and climbing with no bird attacks.
Happy Earth Day!

Comments

Chrisandkarlie said…
What a great way to share adventures! Glad to hear you're all doing so well - can't wait to see you! The Carters

Popular Posts